Award-winning persuasive communication
firstname.lastname@example.org; 224-221-6301 (cell); 847-402-9188 (office)
ALLSTATE CORPORATION — 2015-Present
- Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
- Responsible for Allstate financial communications, internal and external.
CHICAGO TRIBUNE — 1997-2015
- Editorial Board, June 2010-present. Wrote editorials, met with leading newsmakers and formulated public policy positions for Chicago Tribune as a member of its Editorial Board. Kept a busy schedule of public events and TV appearances.
- Business Columnist, 2008-2010. Wrote business columns and hosted TV shows and public events for Chicago Tribune.
- Senior Correspondent, March 2002-2008. Wrote award-winning business stories, investigations, magazine covers and projects for major metropolitan daily; Notable work includes series on the bankruptcy of United Airlines, Class Action lawsuits and 2003 Pulitzer finalist “The Fall of Andersen.” Appeared regularly on CLTV, WGN-TV, Chicago Tonight, CEO Exchange and other broadcasts; Coordinated stories with Chicagotribune.com to enhance Web audience. Formulated policy and wrote Tribune editorials during several months-long stints on Editorial Board. Mentored business editors and business-news staff members.
- Associate Managing Editor/Business, Dec. 1999-March 2002; Oct. 2004-March 2005. Supervised more than 50 writers, editors, designers and other journalists; Recruited more than a dozen new staff; Trained interns, reporters and editors, including Tribune business editor; Oversaw Business News, Real Estate, Transportation and Personal Finance sections; Launched Cars, Workplace and eBusiness sections; Led business coverage of 9/11; Managed 2001 newspaper redesign; Responsible for annual $3 million budget; Developed Chicagotribune.com Web coverage on business topics; Conducted market research program for financial agate that led to extensive revisions of stock-market listings; Performed community outreach, including first-ever meetings between Tribune editorial staff and Chicago Network business-group for women executives; Honored in Society of American Business Editors and Writers “Best in Business;” Completed Tribune Leadership Development Program management training.
- Tribune Staff Writer, June 1997-Nov. 1999. Financial-markets writer covering stocks, bonds, options and futures; Also wrote far-ranging features on nearly all aspects of business; Served rotations on the business-news editing desk.
BUSINESS WEEK — 1994-1997
- Senior Correspondent in Chicago bureau. One of five journalists covering 12-state region for national newsmagazine. Specialized in finance. Highlights include cover story on agribusiness titled, “The New Economics of Food.”
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES — 1985-1994
- Beat reporter and business columnist. Covered retailing, financial markets and marketing, including the FBI sting at the Chicago futures exchanges and the consolidating advertising industry. Wrote “Portfolio” personal-finance column and “Biz” column on the lighter side of business events.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- Adjunct journalism instructor at Northwestern University. Taught graduate and undergraduate classes in news writing and business reporting.
- Contributing editor to London-based FOW magazine, a trade publication with a global circulation for the futures and options industry.
- Launched career at Anderson (S.C.) Independent-Mail
NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY MEDILL SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism, 1983
- Master of Science in Journalism, 1984
- Sigma Delta Chi, Merit Scholarship
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Finalist, Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting
- Scripps Howard Foundation National Journalism Award
- National Headliner Award for business reporting
- Lead writer for SABEW Best in Business Award
- Tribune Beck Award; Headline Club Lisagor Award